Thursday, March 12, 2020

A Healthy Relationship with You

Hi Fam and welcome to the family new readers.
I am 100% sure that we have all heard the phrase " Love Yourself" at least once since we started this journey called LIFE (As a scientist I will work with 92% 😉) and for some of us we mentally or outrightly said, " I do love myself so this does not apply". I was also that person 🙄 and it was not until I evaluated what love truly meant that I realized there were things I needed to work on. 
So, what does love truly mean? Well according to the Bible (Yes that's always a reference point 😎)
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. I Corinthians 13:4-7
I had read the verse many times and each time I was always projecting it on how people should love me, not for once did I think that this was also how I should love me. It was not until I heard someone say "Our relationships are a reflection of our relationship with ourselves" WOW!!. That was the first time that the table had been turned for me and also when I realized that I was not loving myself. I was always impatient with myself although I willingly extended patience to others, I kept a record of all my wrongs and never pulled a punch when it came to guilt-tripping myself, you get where I am going right?
Let me tell you this, one of the most important and resourceful relationships you can ever have is the relationship with self. This relationship lays the groundwork for every other relationship in your life, it sets the pace of how you will allow yourself to be treated by others. For example, I was impatient with myself therefore I was never upset when others were impatient with me.
A healthy relationship with yourself goes beyond taking physical care of yourself [spa dates, movie dates, or travel experience], it is truly looking within and becoming aware of ways you can improve your self-relationship and most importantly learning to accept all of you.
Take a moment and evaluate all the points I have made and truthfully answer this question "Do I Love Myself?" 

Till we meet again, do keep this quote in mind from one of my favorite Duchess (can I still call her that 🤔 )
"We just need to be kinder to ourselves. 

If we treated ourselves the way we treated our best friend,
can you imagine how much better off we would be?..." 
-Meghan Markle 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ARE WE THERE YET?